How to Get an Accident Report from Alameda County Sheriff’s Department

After a frightening traffic accident on an Alameda County road, you may need to secure an accident report written up by an Alameda County Deputy. This report goes over what the investigating officer observed on the scene and it may prove you weren’t to blame for what happened.

This critical document might also help you force a car insurance company to provide you with support to repair your car or pay for care for an injury. Here’s how to request your report from the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department.

Requesting an Accident Report from the Sheriff’s Office

If an Alameda County Sheriff’s Deputy responded to your scene, you can seek a copy of an accident report online, through the mail, or by fax. It’s a good idea to wait at least a week before requesting a collision report. That gives an officer time to complete an accident report and submit it.

Authorization for Release Form

Your first step will be to fill out an Authorization For Release of Authorized Information form before the department can release your report. It’s necessary to prove that you were involved in the accident.  The Sheriff’s Department also needs this release notarized. Accident reports contain the sensitive information of everyone involved and it’s a step to keep it out of the wrong hands.

Complete this form if you are seeking the release of protected information.

Filling Out Your Accident Request Form

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Department allows you to seek a copy of your accident report in one of a few ways.

  • Complete the online form here.
  • Fill out the Paper Form and return it via ONE of the following methods:
    • Email it to
    • Mail it to 2000 – 150th Avenue San Leandro, CA 94578
    • Fax it to 510-667-3970.

It’s a good idea to have your case number handy if the officer provided it to you. You should also have the date of your accident, the location, and the names of the drivers involved.

You’ll await a phone call letting you know that your report is ready. Reports must be picked up between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. You can also have your report sent to you or emailed. There are instructions for this process on the Sheriff’s Department Website.

If you have additional questions, contact the department at 510-272-6878.

Do I Need a Lawyer After a Fremont or Alameda Traffic Accident?

When your accident only involves a very minor injury or only vehicle damage, you probably don’t need the help of an attorney.

But when you’ve suffered a serious injury, like a bone fracture or head trauma, and a careless driver was to blame, you should speak to a Fremont Car Accident Lawyer. When hospital bills are high, insurance adjusters look for ways to shift blame for the accident to you. They’ll also do everything possible to shortchange you. You could end up paying for thousands of dollars of your own medical expenses. This is unacceptable.

Your lawyer protects you from these tactics and will often be able to secure much more in compensation for you and your family. Contact a Fremont Car Accident Lawyer serving all Alameda County victims to schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation to find out what your injury is worth.